»My vision: Breaking down the borders that traditionally exist between classical and contemporary dance and redefining dance as a culmination of both.« Aaron S. Watkin more...
Soloists of the Semperoper Ballett will be guesting at the »Des étoiles à St Victor-des-oules«-Gala on July 25th and 26th. They will dance alongside dancers of the Royal Ballet of Flanders, the Houston Ballet II, the Palucca Hochschule für Tanz Dresden and finalists of 2014 Prix de Lausanne and Youth America Grand Prix. Contributions will be »Grey Area- Pas de deux« by David Dawson and »Bach« Pas de Deux by William Forsythe, presented by Julia Weiss and Raphaël Coumes-Marquet as well as »New Sleep« Pas de deux by William Forsythe and a Pas de deux from »Vertigo Maze« by Stijn Celis, danced by Anna Merkulova and Jón Vallejo. The event, artistically directed by Jason Beechey and Jill Gomme, starts at 9:30 p.m. at the Théâtre de verdure of the Gardens of St. Victor-des-oules, France.
Jia Sun and Julian Lacey, both artists of the Corps de Ballet of the Semperoper Ballett will dance at the »International Dance Gala« at the Teatro La Fenice in Venice, Italy on July 15th. They’ll present a Pas de deux from Act III of Artistic Director Aaron S. Watkin’s »The Sleeping Beauty« as well as William Forsythe’s »New Sleep« Pas de deux from the company’s »New Suite«.
Check the link for further information...
Principal Jiří Bubeníček will be guesting at the Dortmund Ballet for his newest choreographic work, which is to be premiered within their mixed bill evening »Drei Streifen: Tanz« at the Opera Dortmund. The evening will be featuring Benjamin Millepied's Pas de deux »Closer«, a new creation by Ballet Stuttgart's Resident Choreographer Demis Volpi and a creation by Jiří based on the Oscar-winning movie »The Piano« by Jane Campion. The movie, set in the 19th century, depicts the story of a mute woman, whose only means of expression is her piano. Together with producer Jane Campion, Jiří and Otto Bubeníček visited the original sites of the movie in a search for the meaning of art to man in extreme situations. The final work will be premiered on Feb 14th, 2015.
»Clair de Lune«, a choreography by Principal Dancer and Choreographer Jiří Bubeníček, will be presented by Étoiles Hervé Moreau and Jorge Viladoms at the »From Luna to Carnegie Hall« gala on August 28th, 2014. The evening, featuring the two Étoiles, pianist Stéphane Bullion and violoncellist Gautier Capuçon, will be part of the »Luna Classics« festival to be taking place from August 19th to 31st in Nyon, Switzerland.
Jiří Kylián, an idol for many contemporary choreographers, 2012 brought his »Bella Figura« to Dresden. In this work from 1998, the long-time Artistic Director of the Nederlands Dans Theater explores the meaning of identity, as well as the relationship between the sexes.
David Dawson's abstract, emotionally charged choreography »The Grey Area« deliberately dispenses with any stage elements. In this work dating from 2002, Semperoper Ballett’s former Resident Choreographer displays his talent for modern, atmospheric ballet and figuratively casts off the art from classical chains. more...
The Semperoper Ballett made it into BBC Online’s »News in Pictures« section with a photo of Svetlana Gileva and Jiří Bubeniček as Potiphar’s Wife and Joseph in Stijn Celis’s »The Legend of Joseph«. The piece was premiered on June 28th as a part of »Legends – Homage to Richard Strauss«, the company’s contribution to the Saxon State Opera’s celebrations of the famous composer Richard Strauss’s 150th birthday. The mixed bill evening was completed by Alexei Ratmansky’s »Tanzsuite«. More...
The Semperoper Ballett has been chosen to be one of the 16 institutions entitled to submit nominations for the »Saxon Dance Award«, which will be awarded for the first time next year, 2015. The Ursula-Cain-Prize, initiated 2014 by the Saxon Minister for Arts and Sciences, Sabine von Schorlemer, is endowed with 10.000,- Euro. The prize money as well as the work of the jury have been enabled by the support of the Sparkassen-Versicherung Sachsen. For further information, please visit: tanzpreis-sachsen.de
Anchored deeply in the past, we find the origins of the oldest occidental love story »Tristan and Isolde«. A saga of Celtic origin tells the story of a magic spell that binds Isolde, the Princess of Ireland, and Tristan, her suitor and enemy, together in true love. A love, too powerful to resist. A bond, too strong for all earthly things. Neither Tristans fidelity to his uncle Mark, nor Isoldes guilty conscience towards her fallen fiancé can weaken the mutual attraction. For Tristan and Isolde, only one thing counts: their deep, eternal, burning love. more...
We are happy to confirm the following six young and promising dancers as members of the Apprentice-program for season 2014/15. We are especially happy to be able to again offer a contract to two students from Palucca Hochschule für Tanz Dresden
Anya Kulas (US-American)
Rebecca Storani (Italian)
Ayaha Tsunaki (Japanese)
Tim Leonard (British)
Alejandro Martínez Azorin (Spanish)
Our special scholarship from the Stiftung zur Förderung der Semperoper and Ostsächsische Sparkassenstiftung will go to Nacho Lopez Toral, who will be with the company as a guest artist of the Corps de ballet next season.
»For everything you have missed, you have gained something else, and for everything you gain, you lose something else.«
Ralph Waldo Emerson
The following dancers will be leaving our company by the end of this season to pursue other goals:
• Coryphée Mario Hernandez
• Artist of the Corps de Ballet Jan Oratynski
• Artist of the Corps de Ballet Mykola Abramenko (will retire from dance)
• Artist of the Corps de Ballet Boris Richir (will join the Boston Ballet)
• Artist of the Corps de Ballet Saverio Pescucci (will retire from dance to pursue a free-lance career in the general field of culture and TV)
• Artist of the Corps de Ballet Charlie Peters (will leave to join the Company of the Friedrichstadt Palast, Berlin)
We wish all of them all the best for this new stage of their lives and thank them for the all the work they have done for our company.
Keeping in tune with Ralph Waldo Emerson's quote, we will welcome eight members to our company with the beginning of season 2014/15.
• István Simon, Hungarian, from the Hungarian National Ballett, Soloist of the Semperoper Ballett until 2013, joins as Principal.
• Jan Casier, Belgian, from Zurich Ballet, joins as Coryphée.
• Craig Davidson, Australian, from Tanz Luzerner Theater, joins as Coryphée
• Aidan Gibson, Canadian, from Ballett im Revier, joins as artist of the Corps de Ballet.
• Houston Thomas, US-American, former apprentices of the Semperoper Ballett, trained at School of American Ballet, joins as artists of the Corps de Ballet.
• Joseph Hernandez, US-American, from Les Ballets de Monte Carlo, joins as artist of the Corps de Ballet.
• Christian Bauch, German, from balletmainz, trained at Palucca Hochschule für Tanz Dresden, joins as artists of the Corps de Ballet.
• Vaclav Lamparter, Czech, trained at American Ballet Theatre’s Studio Company and Dance Conservatory Brno, joins as artist of the Corps de Ballet.
• Skyler Maxey-Wert, US-American, trained at Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School and American Ballet Theatre’s Studio Company, joins as artist of the Corps de Ballet.
We look forward to having them join our company!