To accompany the performances of the »Ring« cycle, the filing cabinets of the Historical Archive will once again be rolled open to reveal exciting stories and contemporary documents on Richard Wagner’s epic work »Der Ring des Nibelungen«. The conductor of the first complete performance in Dresden (1884-1886), Ernst von Schuch, also conducted the second cycle in 1913, by which time he had only been appointed Generalmusikdirektor but had also joined the ranks of the nobility. To celebrate Richard Wagner’s 100th birthday, various renowned artists were asked to help design this new production; yet they either declined due to a lack of time or made contributions that proved unsatisfactory; for example, a Rheingold crag was described as resembling a melted raspberry ice cream... How long did Dresden’s music lovers have to wait before they could hear the individual sections of the Ring following the Bayreuth premiere? What did the stage designs for the composer’s 100th birthday look like? Which production was the most sensational? Elisabeth Telle from the Historical Archive and Juliane Schunke, dramaturge, will answer these and other questions about the Dresden »Ring« cycles.
Venue Historisches Archiv, Ostra-Allee 9, 01067 Dresden (entrance via Malergäßchen)